Because Week 1 of Life Book was so difficult for many beginners (the all-important Beacon of Light painting plus some other bonus activities), the week 2 prompts were considered bonus activities (to do as you see fit). I wasn’t planning on doing either of them since I was behind in other art challenges but my need to keep up over-powered my need to do other things.
The first bonus activity was to create gift tags using watercolors or sprays and art that you had previously completed, resized for the project. These are the two tags I created using my prior art work:
The first tag was created with a painting I had done on a pink index card last summer for Index-Card-A-Day challenge. I added a journaling card beneath it, some Dylusions sprays, doodling, ribbon sprayed with Lindy’s Stamp Gang starburst, and Tim Holtz rub-ons and chitchat words. The second tag was done using art from an Artist Trading Card I had done in 2014. I used watercolors on the tag, then added the ATC art, Tim Holtz chitchat words, and another ribbon. I am pleased with how both of these turned out.
The next bonus project in Life Book week 2 was to create what Tamara Laporte called an Awesome jar. The purpose of the jar is to have a pretty repository for pieces of paper that describe awesome things that happen to you throughout the year. I wasn’t going to do this because I’m not a very crafty person and I didn’t think I had time, but I love the idea (I had seen it floating around Facebook all through 2014). So I spent some time yesterday and this morning creating what I call my Gratitude jar.
This was my first layer, drying for several hours. I used dictionary paper, a vintage bingo card, and scrapbook paper in colors I thought I would like.
Then I added bright, flowery paper napkins over the top of the first layer. You can still see the first layer of paper through the translucent napkins. I let that dry over night and added a ribbon around the rim of the lid. I finished up this morning by stamping “Gratitude” on a piece of matching scrapbook paper and adhering it to the front of the jar. I stapled the two art tags back to back and adhered them to the back of the jar with another ribbon.
Overall, I’m pleased with the outcome. I barely had patience to do all the steps for the project so the first piece of good news that went into the jar was a piece of paper saying that I was grateful for having finished this project!
Now I’m off to work on binding and painting my hand-made journal for the Book of Days art journal workshop. I’m already two weeks behind on that. I hope you find something creative to do today too!
You must be logged in to post a comment.