Today I decided to practice watercolor painting as I finish up Tammy Garcia’s Watercolor Playground workshop on http://daisyyellowart.com. I decided that for this practice I would use my cheaper Canson watercolor paper and my student-level watercolor set knowing that this would be a precursor to the final piece I would make for the class.
I also wanted to do something for Dawn Sokol’s prompt for NaNoJouMo listed on her blog at http://www.dawnsokol.com/dblogala/ . The prompt was another song title: “American Woman” by Lenny Kravitz. I happen to prefer the original 1970 version of the song done by The Guess Who. But, hey . . . what does it matter unless I planned to do an album cover of the song, which I didn’t.
In Tammy’s workshop, the final piece is supposed to be watercolored doodles inside several small rectangles on a piece of watercolor paper. No problem there, I penned in quite a number of rectangles of different sizes and doodled them with a Staedtler Fineliner pen. I incorporate elements that met the “American Woman” prompt and added several other disparate designs. The overall page looked pretty good in black and white. Then the problems began.
Problem #1: The black fineliner pen ended up not being waterproof so, as I painted, the black bled into the colors making them look muddy. Problem #2: The cheaper watercolor paints either needed too much paint to show up and then they looked opaque or they were too watery and didn’t show up well. It was difficult to maintain consistency. Problem #3: I started with a #6 round brush that didn’t have a point which caused me to go outside (or inside) the lines. I switched to a smaller #4 pointed round brush and a #2 round one. But I slogged through the painting.
When I had finished I let it dry. I then decided to enhance the painting by adding definition back with a black Fude pen and to add to the design by doodling with a white Signo broad pen. That helped a lot. Here is the finished watercolor painting:
Although this is just a practice piece and watercolor painting is NOT about perfection, I found it frustrating. I did however learn some lessons, particularly to use a waterproof pen in the design and to use the correct sized brushes for the job. I am okay with the final piece and I’m happy that I created art today for Art Everyday Month #aedm and that I satisfied the daily prompt for #nanojoumo.
I hope you did something creative today whether or not you are happy with it.