The prompt for this last week’s journal page was “mandalas”. I usually draw and create my own mandalas from scratch starting with a hard-lead pencil in my journal then finishing with Micron pens and coloring with alcohol marker. But I wanted to do something more organic this time. Mandala means circle in sanskrit. The circle symbolizes eternity or completion of a cycle or homeostatis/balance. That made me think of the principles of Yoga and all the elements in Nature that are organically complete and balanced.
- Dylusions Journal 9×12
- Acrylic paint (different brands and types and colors)
- Gelli plate monoprints that I had previously created on copy paper and deli-paper (this formed the background and the cutout flower, spirals, snake)
- Stencils by StencilGirl and (the webbed design) by TCW
- Pitt artist big brush pens in black, purple, and green
- Sharpie paint pen in white
- Sakura gelly roll gel pen in white
- Micron pen in black (.03)
- Washi tape (to form the header)
And this was the result which I think turned out well. I really love the colors.
May 31, 2014 at 3:14 pm
Creative, refreshing use of mandalas in motif and really nice calligraphy in upper right–it suits the composition and the subject well. I would love to see a subsequent image providing greater detail of a portion of this image.
May 31, 2014 at 3:37 pm
Thanks for the compliment and the suggestion for adding more images with details of a portion of the page. I’ll keep that in mind for the next journal post. 🙂